Wednesday 20 September 2023

Getting Ready to Plant Garlic!

I know most people consider it early, but at Golden Acres Farm, we always plant our garlic at or around September 20th. Our local weather pattern has been pretty consistent over the sixteen years that we've been growing garlic to sell. It's the one chance we can count on for the soil to be workable and we are able to plant in T shirts, and that's how we like it!  

I've always wanted to make a video on how to plant garlic (tried last year, but you can't hear me speaking for all the wind static). I might try again this year, but it'll likely be too late for some of you who are planting as early as we are. So, I'm really pleased to have found this website, through a generous garlic customer who recommended it to me. I agree with most of their advice, and am super impressed by their style (you can tell they are creative artists), still I will always recommend that you read with curiosity and critical awareness. How you apply the knowledge you gather is the key to being connected and grounded in your own experience.

Grey Duck Garlic: The Complete Guide to Growing Gorgeous Garlic from Seed (greyduckgarlic.com)

We are planning to strike our first four rows today, and are so grateful for the sunshine!


We've got a lot of the garlic "cracked" (cloves split apart for planting), and the stock remaining for people to buy is pretty low. I really only have Angelo's, Armenian, Newfoundland Porcelain, Darwin, Guatemalan Ikeda in any appreciable amount, and some of it might be in danger of getting planted here, if I have the extra space ;-) 

Thanks for a great year! Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment